Tuesday, August 24, 2010

People Try to be Helpful

There is a story about a difference between Japanese and American culture and it goes like this: "In Japan a man is sitting at his desk in an office gazing out the window. People come by with various things they need to consult with him about, but do not enter his office or disturb him when they notice what he is doing.

"In America a man is sitting at his desk in his office and very obviously actively working on his computer. People come by with various things they need to consult with him about, but do not enter his office or disturb him when they notice what he is doing."

The story is told to illustrate a point: In Japan thought is respected and given space. In America activity is respected and given space. I don't remember the source of this story, but it illustrates well the American culture of action, action, action.

I'm an Introvert. Twenty-five percent of the population of the USA are classified as Introverts. The other 75% are, of course, Extraverts. Everything - business, education, religion, government, entertainment - is slanted to the majority, the Extraverts.

Here is the rub. People try to be helpful and get me, an Introvert, to become an Extravert. They can be quite evangelical about getting me to "convert" and give up my introverted ways so I can fit in (with them). These helpful ones don't realize that even if I could exchange my Introverted preferences for Extraverted ways, the effort involved in maintaining the appearance of Extraversion would so exhaust me that I would soon lapse back into Introversion to recharge.

"Lead, follow or get out of the way." Extraverts created this little piece of wisdom thinking it's a nice way to say "get out of my way, I'm doing important stuff here." It isn't wisdom. It is dismissive of 25% of the population.  Twenty-five percent is a large slice of the American pie. You'd think the potential marketing possibilities would make us valuable, but Extraverts are generally to busy to notice.

Introverts aren't  immature, self-centered, clueless, selfish, lazy or bored. We just require solitude or near solitude to recharge our batteries to enable us to interact, when necessary, with the overactive side of the population.

Well, I've interacted as much as I can stand for now. I'll probably have to take the day off tomorrow just to rest up.

Extraverts don't rest up. They branch out.

No comments:

Post a Comment